Saturday, November 15, 2008

Trains

A long, long time ago (27 years) I attended Ozark Bible College in Joplin, MO. There were times when I felt homesick - I had been separated from family before but not for so long and not so far away. Since I didn't have a car or even know how to drive I often rode my bicycle around town. On one of my bike trips, I spotted an Alaska Caboose in a train yard. In Joplin, Missouri! I couldn't believe it. I stopped my bike and just stood there while homesickness swept over me. I think I even got tears in my ears. It was so ALASKA and so unexpected in the middle of the hot mid west.

Here's what that caboose looked like except that ALASKA was printed boldly across the side instead of blacked out. It was one of the blue and gold ones. When I took these pics today I felt sad because it looks like these cabooses are being decommissioned. I want one. I'd put it on my farm in Missouri and repaint it and let kids play in it.

This engine has ALASKA printed across it like the cabooses are supposed to have.



3 comments:

tainterturtles said...

You know Patty, my neighbor did buy a caboose, and he did put it in his yard
!!! He's uses it as his office for his business. His caboose is painted orange. Maybe you can have one someday.

Aunt Krissy said...

You're going to have a junk yard if you don't watch out!

PAK ART said...

I doubt I'll really ever get a caboose from Alaska down to Missouri. It's just one more of those wishes.