Sunday, November 16, 2008

Candle Paper Cutting

This is one of the Christmas projects I've been working on. I purchased four of these candle holders from PartyLite and plan to make a papercutting to place inside each one. This papercutting took about 2 hours. It is slow, slow work, but I really like the effect.




First I started with a pattern - it wasn't long enough to go completely around the glass so I improvised and reversed the cat portion and added it to one end so that I ended up with two cats.

I use a light table and carbon paper to trace the pattern. If you don't have a light table, you can tape the original pattern to a window and then carefully tape your paper over that. The lines from the original will show through your top paper and it will be easy to copy. I used to do it this way before I had a light table.

Next start cutting out the design very carefully with tiny scissors. It is best to do the small and interior areas first. Then move to the larger sections.

When finished, insert into the candle holder. I think it's very pretty and will make a nice gift for someone.
IMPORTANT EDIT - This is a double glassed globe with a glass insert for the candle. The flame never comes into contact with the paper. It's sealed between two pieces of glass.

5 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

You have such talent. Is that what I'm getting for Christmas?

PAK ART said...

no. I've got something else in mind for you. These are planned for the three employees I supervise.

tainterturtles said...

I love the paper cuttings. My grandma Fannie use to do that too....she called it Polish cut-outs! I sure wish I had time to do fun stuff like that.

Alicia said...

Diddly dang it! I wish you'd make me one!

Or maybe I'll have to give it a try myself. Those would make excellent gifts. Where do you get the patterns from?

ho ho ho...I just wrapped a Christmas present to send to Krissy...so I'm not telling what it is. If I send it now do you think Kris will be naughty and open it before Christmas?

Anonymous said...

wow! i love your work! how creative!! i bought one of those frames and just put a black & white picture of my parents wedding in it--not creative at all--you made it look so "expensive" Great idea!!! thanx!~Tracy