Friday, September 12, 2008

When I was a child...

L to R - Kris, Alicia, Patty w/parrot
I can remember the day this picture was taken. The man who owned the parrot (and boat) told me that in a couple of years, when I was 18, I could come back and he'd hire me to crew on his boat. He had a big sailboat and took tourists out on day trips or week long sailing adventures. On that day I knew what I was going to do when I grew up. I was going to be a paid deckhand on a sailboat. Which beats being an unpaid deckhand any day.

Then about 8 months later, when we left San Diego, I was sure I was going to return to San Diego and go to college. As soon as I graduated.

Instead I went to Bible College in Joplin, MO. I spent two years there and then returned to Alaska and resumed my summer job at the fish processing plant. I still thought about going back to college - I even checked with my grandparents who lived in MN to see if I could live with them while I attended school to become a dental hygenist. I don't know why I wanted to be one at the time, but it made sense back then.

Instead, I met Tim (who had only come to Alaska for the summer to make lots of money) and talked him into staying past summers end. By Christmas we were engaged and married the following February.

It's kind of funny how your plans change over time. I was very content being wife, mother and working at various jobs to help make ends meet. I still am. But now I dream about being retired and being a farmer who also writes books, paints and draws on the side.

Who knows? Maybe I'll be the next governor of Alaska. I hear rumors that ours is leaving for another position.

1 comment:

Aunt Krissy said...

I think that you want Tim to be the farmer, and you live the life of lesiure! as I dont see "sweetie" having to rake poop from the barn!or much else! other then cooking!