Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kids Kitchen

I volunteered some time at the Kid's Kitchen this afternoon. I had to take off from work a little early to go. There are about 50 kids in a lower-income area of the city being fed a healthy meal once per day at a recreation center. The gentleman who started the program receives no federal aid or grants and is doing this out of the kindness of his heart. He is into his 80's and can't see well, because when I was introduced and shook his hand I could tell he couldn't see me. He has lots of volunteers that cook and provide food but feels like the teenage girls need connections with women who can mentor them - that's where I come in. There were three of us ladies from our church and we worked on beading projects with the kids. Last week only younger children joined, but this week we had two teenage girls join us so we think we might be on to a great project. What girl doesn't like beading? I thoroughly enjoyed myself and am considering if I can get my work schedule changed so I can go every week. We'll have to see, that kind of depends on my boss and workload.

One of my favorite things: Unbaked Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

You've probably had these before but some of the various recipes just aren't as good as these.

Mix:

2 cups Sugar
1 stick Butter
1/2 Cup Cocoa
1/2 Cup Milk

Stir and bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes stirring constantly. Then add:

1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
3 Cups Oats
2 tsp. Vanilla

Drop by spoon onto wax paper or aluminum foil. Let set and then eat them all up.

PS These are not on my diet...I'm just saying that when you need a little chocolate, this hits the spot. I needed a little chocolate about 15 minutes ago and I'm enjoying one right now.

12 comments:

Katie said...

Hey mom, Those cookies sure are great! That's really nice to help out with the kids. My headache is gone but someone is attempting to give me another. Love and miss you!

A Lady's Life said...

Oh Wow ! I never heard of making cookies this way. I have to try it lol
Thanks:)

A Lady's Life said...

Oh Wow ! I never heard of making cookies this way. I have to try it lol
Thanks:)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a great project. Those girls would get a lot from your attentions. Those no bake cookies sound yummy. I might try them this weekend.

Aunt Krissy said...

Ohhh I have not had those in years. Not since I moved here to WI. I wonder why my dear loving sister Alicia did not make them for when she was here? I think I will have to make some this weekend. Did you make a 1/2 batch? or a 1/4 batch or just enough to make 4 like Alicia does?

PAK ART said...

to all: That's a full batch, last night I 1/3 it which was hard to do because I don't know what 1/3 of 1/2 is.....I mostly just guessed and they turned out good.

Anonymous said...

we used to call them "boiled cookies" when I was a kid, then I heard them called "no bake cookies". I love them.. now I have to make a batch!!

great job on the volunteer job. Those kids will really benefit from your mentoring.

have a great weekend.
Rose

Anonymous said...

P.S. a 1/2 batch?? thats crazy talk!! :-)

Rose

tainterturtles said...

That's really nice Patty that you volunteered at the kids event this afternoon. God bless that 80 year old man for giving his time and $ to fund this event.

Caroline said...

Those cookies sound delicious (and simple to make too)! What a nice project to be involved in - hope you can arrange something with your boss!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I love volunteering. I've been asked to speak to some teenage girls at another Church. Keep me in prayer that the words come from the Lord!

Enjoy and praying that your schedule will permit you to continue. You truly have a lot of gifts to offer the children.

Love ya!
China

crochet lady said...

That's fun to be able to do that. I like those cookies too!