Saturday, March 27, 2010

Carina


My book Carina was sent to the printers either today or this coming Monday! We should have it back in four weeks. I did several sketches of sea-going creatures for ends of the chapters. This brown pelican is one of them.

I'm starting to think about my opening reception/book signing. I'm supposed to have a 2-3 hour reception, serve light refreshments and invite about 200 people by postcard. I think I know that many, but now that I'm faced with it, it's starting to get a bit scary. I'm supposed to be compiling a mailing list, but as you can see, I'm not working on it yet. We will be sending out postcard invitations to all ( even though many of you are out-of-state and won't be able to attend.) Once I receive the copies and figure out how much it will cost to mail it out, I'll start taking orders by email too!

What is your opinion about a book signing? Should it be in the evening? On a weekend? mid-day or late afternoon? I really value your advice so please let me know....my first thoughts are a Saturday afternoon from about 4:30 to 7:30 pm. (Some of my co-workers don't get off until 6:30 pm on Saturdays.)



8 comments:

Teri said...

Since a lot of people work, I think a weekend day would work the best. Put me down for one book! Love that sketch.
LOTS OF LUCK AND HUGS for a big success!!!!!!!!!!

tainterturtles said...

Being a librarian, my advice is to have it on a Saturday - afternoon. I've scheduled author programs during the week at night @ my library and it just doesn't pull in the people. On Saturday, most people can manage to make it to a book signing. That's just my "librarian" advice.

Nice new header...I need to change mine too.

Aunt Krissy said...

I like the Saturday time also.
Where is it going to be held at? Do you need to bring the light refreshments? Don't forget to let my friend Ruth know!

Lynn Cohen said...

Awesome that you are having a book signing! That drawing is terrific. A book full? Wow!
Yes, do plan it so most people who want to come will be able to (not at work hours)...Congratulations!!!

A Lady's Life said...

I think week ends are the best but I would also suggest going to schools.

We had authors visit Roald Dahl was one of them and the kids loved it.
Now he is gone but we have memories.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I vote for Saturday afternoon too. I want one of your books. I wish I could be at the signing/reception. Best of luck.

Cate said...

Patty, this is just fantastic! I'm so excited for you!! I wish I was closer and could attend, I would love an autographed copy! Save me one, please!!

I'd say...Saturday afternoon would be wonderful!

Big hugs girlfriend!!

ps: I'm thinking about that suggestion you made to me awhile back about the children's book...thank you so much for that comment! It meant a lot to me. I've always wanted to write a children's book. :)

Kellie said...

How exciting! A reception/signing all about you and your achievement!

Looks like the consensus is Saturday.