Saturday, September 26, 2009

Almost finished!

I've been working on this painting each evening. In between layers drying I've been cooking dinner, eating dinner and watching bits of TV here and there.

I used salt to create the texture in lower left corner....I got that w-a-y more textured than I wanted, but that's watercolor and inexperience in how much salt to use and when to put it on. I'm still pleased with the result. I've thickened up the raven wings and reshaped his head so I'm happier with its overall shape (compare to previous post).

I've been debating about what to put in the center. My first thought was a birch tree, with mountains in the background and leaves on one side of the tree only. The thought was showing winter and summer at SWS. We have ravens in the winter and seagulls in the summer.

Then my husband suggested I put in our SWS logo, faded. It is a circular logo and I think that would have been very nice, but finally decided against it and went back to the birch tree. Instead of doing half winter, half summer, I compromised and did autumn.

I'm pleased with the results. I'm taking it to frame this afternoon sometime. It will be given as a gift this evening so I've finished it in the nick of time.

And no, I never did paint two at the same time as a backup. It seemed like too much work when I had limited time.

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The receipient will be so pleased with this! I think the Autumnal birch is perfect as it is presented during autumn. All of your changes and hard work shows. It turned out great.

Aunt Krissy said...

Very nice Patty and in the nick of time.

Cathy said...

I especially like your gift for using symbolism in your paintings. Thank you again for sharing your talent with us.