Thursday, August 13, 2009

Spray Painting Fun

Someone from work sent me this YouTube clip the other day. I was fascinated. I don't want to rush out and become the next spray painting sensation but it did intrigue me enough that I went out and bought 6 cans of spray paint, some poster board and a few pan lids from the second hand store.

Don't get me wrong. I know this isn't fine art but it is still an intriguing art form. Someone figured out how to make money doing this. Check out his website to read the full story here.

The day I watched this clip I was asked by my church to present a "chalk talk" for the kids during Sunday School. I don't know if you all know what that is, but it's a way to tell a story while you draw important parts with chalk as you talk. Then when you are done with the story the picture is completed also. Usually there is some element that makes it hard for the viewer to understand the picture fully until you are finished. I've seen a chalk talk before but it's been years and I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet to help me out. So I decided to use the spray paint techniques I watched in this video clip (and at Brandon's site) to devise a talk about Creation from the book of Genesis. I've practised my idea a few times and so far it's not great, but I do believe that by Sunday I'll have it down. (I don't know what possesses me to learn a new form of art in 7 days!)

The kids should have a hard time telling what the finished picture will be until the end when I lift the pan lid to reveal the planets in the heavens, and pull up some silhouettes to reveal fishes in the sea, animals and plants on land and then finally Adam and Eve looking up towards the night sky.

If none of this makes sense, don't worry, it's crystal clear in my mind. Watch the video - that will give you the basics.

9 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

Hey now, don't be snobby! Art is in the eye of the beholder. I wish I could see your story as you do it. Sounds like it will be really neat.

Alicia said...

wow! that youtube video was really neat-o, I think it'll make a great lesson! You might have to do it outside though so that you don't poisen the wee ones.

soulbrush said...

a very interesting post.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I will have to take a look. I have seen several youtube videos of artists painting upside down then revealing their picture at the end of a song. Very interesting. Good luck with your presentation.

Kellie said...

Cool youtube video. I had no idea what it would be until he was done.

Good luck with your project.

crochet lady said...

Very cool! I've done some chalk stories for the kids in storytime, except I use a white board and felt pen. Spraypainting sounds daring! Hope you give us a glimpse when it turns out.

Mim said...

Facinating spray painting art work - amazing what can be done. I'd love to give it a try...but I'd get addicted..need to get perfect at it...nah..I'll leave this to you. Show us the results!

Cathy said...

oh!!!!! You do chalk art! Is there no limit to your talent? My pastor will do chalk art from time to time and it is uniquely fascinating to see him work a beautiful story out in chalk right before your eyes.
I will watch the video to see the spray paint art.

tainterturtles said...

The "chalk art" sounds cool. You always have such good ideas PA.

I promise to watch the YouTube clip.