Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spring Cleaning

The phone at work was ringing off the hook today. I had allowed my receptionist a day of training and my payroll clerk is on vacation. That left me and my new accounts payable person to answer phones. Here's how my day went.

When is spring clean up? When are the woodlots open? Where can I dump a load of brush? Do I have to tie that down? Are you open? What are the requirements to dump for free? When is spring clean up? How much does a pickup load cost? I have this coupon, can I still use it? Can I dump lumber at the woodlot? Why is there a long line outside your facility? Can I dump a computer? Can I dump fluorescent lights? Why does my fridge cost more? Ummmm......you know that place........you know where you can dump.....ummmmm..........like wood and stuff? When is spring clean up? What happened to the compost facility? Do I have to pay to dump grass? Why didn't my garbage get picked up?

We were closed last week for repairs to our tipping floor. Spring Clean Up starts this Saturday. The woodlots won't open until May 14 and 15th. One is free, one isn't. There is a "Dirt Day" composting event coming up on May 16. The guy who ran the compost facility didn't get his lease renewed with the city. There will be a place for yardwaste opening on May 1. Coupons expire tomorrow. New coupons will come out with tax bill in late May. Fridges cost an extra $20 for freon removal.

Multiply that by about 200. I can answer the questions quickly, but it's so frustrating when they holler out "honey, will you get me a pen, I need to write this down." Then I have to wait until "honey" finds a pen and brings it to the guy on the phone and then I get to repeat it all over again. Meanwhile the phone is ringing and ringing. Sometimes it's a guy in the background yelling "ask them when they're open" "ask them how much it costs" "ask them what I should do with the car battery" "ask them why it has to be covered"......I just want to say; put the dude on the phone and let me talk to him instead of doing this relay thing.

Spring is always a busy time for us. People are getting out and sprucing up their yards, homes, sheds and garages. I guess that's why they call it "spring cleaning".

4 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

It will soon be all over with. And silly you for letting people go on VAC during busy time. At the old job NO VAC during Jun/Jul/Aug.

tainterturtles said...

Wow, can't believe all the questions you have to answer. I suppose when Alaska residents are thawing out after eigh months of winter, they are all excited.

Do you see a real change is people's attitudes during the summer months verses cold months?

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Sounds like my line of work.... it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. Pray for me and I'll pray for you (smile)

Love,
China

PAK ART said...

tt - Spring does seem to bring out the happiness in most people. It's sunny, it's spring! And so does dumping for free. Although all us workers hate it.