Saturday, January 3, 2009

Frost

It is still well below zero and sunny. That makes for lots of frost. I was driving (being chauffered) around town today with my son, and really enjoyed the beauty of Alaska. Until I had to open the car door and step out into the cold.

My car is in the shop. It will get looked at and worked on this Monday. I had Travis drive our truck to the shop to pick me up. We ended up hanging out together all day looking for a laptop for me, had lunch and went grocery shopping. He drove. I have turned into a backseat driver even though I was sitting in front. I kept pressing my imaginary brake - I don't know why either. He's a really good driver, but it's instinctive I guess to feel that way when you are not in control.

He pulled into several parking spots that I would have bypassed if I were driving. And then he pulled up close to the vehicle parked in front of us - I was sure he would tap their bumper, but upon stepping out of the truck I realized there was a good foot or two between the vehicles. I'm so used to driving my Neon, that the truck looks like a tank to me. I think I sit lower too, so it's hard for me to see over the hood. Oh, the pitfalls of being short!

9 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

Pretty frost pics. where did you go for lunch? SSB? Mooses Tooth?

PAK ART said...

Applebees for the salad and soup combo. I love their shrimp/spinach salad.

tainterturtles said...

The frost pictures are so pretty. We're going to have subzero temps starting on Monday.

You know, sometimes when I drive with my son it's a little scary too. He pulls into parking places really fast.Sometimes C would take me off roading with his four-wheel drive truck and scare the "S" out of me....then he would laugh and laugh! It must be a boy thing. C is a good driver however, I must admit that.

Anonymous said...

While going thru paperwork (16 boxes of John's life) I found my back seat drivers license issued back in 1984 when I lived in Kaktovik. Maybe the next time I come to Anchor town we could figure out a way to perserve it as the commissioner is Izz E. Nervous. You ought to try riding with JT driving, I don't often and I can't blame anyone but me, I taught him how. Whats up with those guys and their BIG trucks? oh thats right, thats what I drive too. I get in those little cars and I get scared, to close to the ground I say

PAK ART said...

I'll have to get a backseat driver's license too. Does that make the imaginary brake actually work?

Anonymous said...

Don't remember if the imaginary brakes work but it does give you permission to gasp, make comments and so on and so forth as long as you have your seat belt on and you have it on your person. I know I pulled it out a few times when Big John was driving tho.....Man was he a scary driver always gawking for the wildlife instead of paying attention to the steering and he thought the center line was what made the truck go.......

crochet lady said...

Nice pictures! Those kind of images made winter beautiful.

Anonymous said...

It seems a little more than I need to check the information, because I was thinking: Why does not my GLOG these things!

Anonymous said...

After reading the information, I may have different views, but I do think this is good BLOG!
netting