Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Earthquake and c-c-c-cold

We had a 5.8 earthquake yesterday while I was at work.  I work on the second floor of an office building and it shook pretty hard.  There was a hard jolt followed by several smaller ones and then a few seconds went by and then another hard jolt followed by more small ones and then it just swayed for awhile.  By that time several of us were at the doors of our office looking out at each other, wondering whether we should get under our desks (that would be a very tight fit) or just ride it out.  The center of the earthquake was about 25 miles west of Anchorage so it was very close.  It's not uncommon to feel the occasional earthquake and I don't usually even get up from my desk.  This one was a little bit bigger though and got my heart pumping. 

It's been cold too.  We are hovering right around 0 degrees Fahrenheit at my house.  I'm dreaming of warmer places to live....like maybe Missouri!  We haven't had much snow to speak of so it's just hard frozen ground that doesn't even look very pretty.  We might get some snow later this week - cross your fingers for us!  We haven't gone snow machining at all yet this year.  It's high time we did!

8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have seen on the weather channel that your area has been cold. Try to stay warm and safe.

Teri said...

Oh my, I am going to quit complaining about Wisconsin weather! How scary and that cold weather...BRRRRRR

Kellie said...

BRRR it is chilly there.

Earthquakes! Any damage?

Think I'd rather have earthquakes than tornados tho..

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

Lived thru many earthquakes when living in So Cal. Not fun. I really don't know how you make it thru those cold winters like that. burrrr. My teeth are chattering from here. :)

Cris, Oregon Artist said...

Oh and BTW I have a new blog. Ran out of room for pix on my old one.

Marj said...

We're cold in Michigan right now too! Had to put on a "big shirt" over my turtleneck and then put on my Jacket :-) just to go out for a quick supper....Maybe it's my age
:-) At least we don't have earthquakes.

A Lady's Life said...

Wow scary!
Whistler had a lot of snow and when that happens every one is happy because there won't be water shortages in summer.
I'm surprised Anchorage had no snow.
Must be because of the magnetic pole shift.

tainterturtles said...

How scary about the earthquake. I also heard this week about your lack of snow and very cold temps. Sure hope the freeze doesn't go too deep so if affects your sewer lines. We too have no snow....well, that might change by this weekend.

Take care Patty.