Friday, May 20, 2011

Bike to Work Day

Today was our municipal Bike to Work Day. I did. It is 4.8 miles each way so I did a total of 9.6 miles which is very close to 10. And I'm feeling it. It was my first bike ride of the season, it was mid-40's when we left this morning so I wore earmuffs and my fleece jacket. It had warmed up to mid-50's but was very windy by the time I came home so I didn't wear a coat but it was chilly in the shadowy places. Still a good ride. Now to do more biking this summer!

More of my vacation pictures:

I was able to get a couple photographs of a hummingbird at Aunt Donna's house in her driveway. There were two buzzing around this bush.

Goats having fun with a bale of hay. They really are quiet playful.

I got to bottle feed Bobby and sometimes his sister Betty - they are two of three babies born to one of the goats who didn't end up feeding all of them very well. Bobby almost always came for his bottle, but Betty had grown up a bit and was eating grain and hay.
Yes, that's me milking a goat. I didn't do the whole thing, just a little - I'm not nearly as good at is as my MIL, but I could get the hang of it if I had to. Little Face (that's her name) was getting annoyed with me and stomping her feet a lot because I wasn't doing it "right". And yes, I drank goat's milk while I was there. I found I couldn't tell the difference from cow's milk as long as it was within a few days of milking. The bottles that were a bit older had a slightly bitter taste to me, but I could drink it.

6 comments:

soulbrush said...

whew you are a miraculous woman, I couldn't even bike ride 1/2 mile! aaaw love those cute goats.

Aunt Krissy said...

What a little goat milker you are. I hope to be on my bike soon.
parts of my body are not looking forward to it at all!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are an inspiration Patty. I need to get my bike out and do some riding. It is such good exercise. I have tried to milk a cow before. It is a matter of getting those hands working right. I haven't had goat's milk before. Goat's cheese is good. Does you MIL make cheeese?

A Lady's Life said...

Thats a healthy life style.
Goats are great as are sheep.
And did you make cheese?
:)

Barbara said...

Oh, how fun!

tainterturtles said...

Good for you Patty. I'm way behind on my cycling....feeling like a slug-a-bug!