Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My world today

Today I show you a Sailor Boy Pilot Bread display. Sailor Boy Pilot Bread is a staple in Alaskan villages and when I was growing up....I don't buy it anymore, but my sister Kris (Transplanted Alaskan) who lives in Wisconsin gets people in Alaska to buy it for her and ship it down to her. It's like a very thick hard saltine cracker, without the salt. When we were kids we used to eat it with peanut butter. Talk about a gummy dry mouth - you need lots of powdered milk to wash that down!

I found this display at the Cook Inlet Native Corporation building in Anchorage and took a picture for Kris.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

we have those crackers in the store up here (washington state) I will have to try them sometime! with peanut butter! and with milk! just not powdered milk though!

p.s. thank you so very much for the bottle caps .... that was so sweet of you (and your hubby)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it funny how regional tastes become treats when we move away. My son likes certain chips and sauces from here now that he lives in WI.

A Lady's Life said...

I have never seen them before but I know when you like something, eating something different isn't the same thing lol