All I can say is I'm not a big fan of Chinese Brush painting. It could be one of several reasons:
1. I suck at it.
2. I don't like having to grind my ink prior to using it.
3. I don't like the paper supplied with the kit.
4. I didn't like the brushes supplied with the kit - I'm used to my regular watercolor brushes.
5. None of my pics turned out and usually my pictures turn out at least a little!
6. Maybe I just suck and need to practice more.
I was trying several different brush strokes. I actually think the shrimp were kind of turning out right. But the goldfish is just a big ugly blob of orange. So different than the one in the book. Part of my problem is that the paint/water absorbs very differently on the paper supplied with the kit. I tried it on my own watercolor paper, but used their brushes and was still not satisfied. I've always admired the Japanese/Chinese koi paintings and I'd like to be able to do them well. But not like this.
I'll try it again with my own brushes and paper and see how that goes. Maybe next week.