Friday, October 1, 2010

Ms Maria's class

I was invited to come to an elementary school and read my book, Song of the Raven, to a combination Kindergarten/1st Grade class, which then invited a 2nd/3rd Grade class to join. All in all there were about 45 students. It was a blast. I has so much fun reading my story, talking about the writing process and answering question and listening to their comments. "Miss Patty? um um um I saw a dead cat once." or "My Uncle has a bear skull in his house." For those of you who aren't aware, Song of the Raven is about the circle of life in Alaska. A bug is eaten by a fish which is eaten by a bear, which dies of old age, so a raven eats on it. The raven narrowly misses being eaten by a fox but gets away.

The biggest surprise was when I first walked into the room and realized that Ms. Maria, the teacher, was doing her first year of student teaching in my daughter's Kindergarten class some 19 years ago! I'm not sure she remembered Katie exactly, but we had a good laugh over how small Anchorage is sometimes. I used to be a parent volunteer way back then and I remembered how wonderful she was then. She still is. She obviously enjoys teaching very much.

9 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

What a treat for all those kids. And how fun to get their responses.
And that you knew that teacher from yester year. What a fun day!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Mim said...

what a great story - and I didn't know you had another book. Sounds like a good one

crochet lady said...

Oh that's fun! Kids sure want to tell you everything.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This sounds like you had as good of a time as the students and teacher.

Becky from Alaska said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky from Alaska said...

That sounds SO fun! Don't you love the "questions" you get from little kids, so sweet:)

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

What an awesome treat. I so wished I was there. You are truly a special and gifted soul.

I'm happy to have had the pleasure!

Love ya
China

A Lady's Life said...

Oh I love story telling and yes time flies and its so nice to see the same people doing things they love to do.
:)

Kellie said...

Oh, how fun PAK! Anchorage is a small town.