Thursday, April 2, 2009

Long-Distance Grandma

My daughter called today. She lives far, far away in Norfolk, VA. She used to call me often, sometimes every day but her cell phone broke a couple weeks ago so she only calls me now when her husband returns home in the evening or if he stopped by the house for lunch.

I miss her. Today she called while I was at work and my boss walked by my office a couple times so I had to cut her short. I wasn't sure if he wanted me for something or if he was just pacing but I decided to play it safe and get off my personal call.

She had her 4 month check up today. The baby's heartbeat is coming through just fine. Since there were no concerns she didn't get a sonogram...but she has another appt on the 23rd, which will be 5 months and then they will do a sonogram and I'll get to know whether she's having a boy or a girl. They already have a daughter, Emily, so a boy would be just fine. Or a girl. It's nice for girls to have sisters. I don't care either way, I'm just excited to get another grandbaby.

Emily is sitting on the potty now. According to Katie, she's not producing anything, but at least she's getting used to the idea. She's talking lots and loves her books.

I want to be the kind of grandma who takes the grandkids out on Saturdays to the park, or lets them come over to make cookies. I want to read them stories and take them to G rated movies like 101 Dalmations. I want them to come to my house and make a big mess fingerpainting at my art table.

I want them to move close to me!


The three pictures above are of Emily - she was born premature, two months early. She was only 3 lbs 6 oz at birth and stayed in the hospital for about 5 weeks before she could come home. Now she is a sweet little girl who lives in Virginia! Not Fair!

5 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

Boy! I forgot how small she was!
glad that it's all good so far with Katie. i wish they would move to AK for you!

crochet lady said...

Thats so hard. I want to be that kind of grandma too. I remember spending so much time with my grandmother as a girl. Maybe things will change in the future for you and you will be closer to them.

A Lady's Life said...

Soo cute. You can't look at them enough, or love them enough, or hold them enough.

Truly God's miracle.
:)

tainterturtles said...

What a great post Patty. I love the pictures and your truthfulness coming from your heart. It's hard when our kids grow up and move away. I totally understand your feelings.

Cathy said...

This post definitely made me joyful and sad. Joyful when I see that tiny precious miracle and how big and strong she has grown! But sad when I think of your longing for them to live closer....it must literally hurt at times.