Monday, March 2, 2009

Fur Rondy - Fur Auction

The Fur Auction is the reason Fur Rondevous exists. Back in the day, trappers and natives came together in Anchorage to sell their furs to buyers. Anchorage is where the ships came and went.

A fur auction is still held today as part of Fur Rondy. I watched a portion of it and saw some Lynx pelts and a beaver hide get sold. Alaska is a place where trappers and those who wear furs can feel comfortable. During Fur Rondy, the fur coats and hats really come out. Here is a sampling:

7 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

Those are beautiful coats and hats. Did you wear your fur mittens? And hat?

PAK ART said...

No, I was in fleece (your old one) and gray thin gloves. I don't dress for the weather. I hate being hot when I get back in my car.

tainterturtles said...

I can't help it,but I love fur. Those pelts look beautiful. If I lived in Alaska, I'd be in seventh heaven with all the fur clothing available.

I bet you don't have too many PETA activists living in Alaska. Fur is how the natives survived hundred of years ago.

crochet lady said...

I am partial to rabbit fur because of it's softness, but I like the look of those reddish fur (fox?) coats and hats.

My mother had a real fur coat, but I don't own anything with real fur except a hat with rabbit lining and an old mink hat of my grandmothers.

Cathy said...

I was holding my breath as I looked. Outstanding, the beautiful furs and pelts....and the large falling snowflakes too.

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margaret Ann said...

Gorgeous clothing!!!! I love your shots!!!! :)