Saturday, March 28, 2009

Dogs can't judge time

Those of you who don't own dogs probably think "duh! of course dogs can't judge time." But for those of us who own dogs (and love them very much) we think our dogs are pretty smart and can do just about anything.

However, since I've been sick so much the past week, I've spent a lot of time at home visiting with my three dogs. Yes, my life is pitiful when I'm sick.

Anyways, each time I leave the house my dogs greet me with much enthusiasm when I arrive back home. I can understand that after a long 8-hour day home alone with no humans. However, I've discovered that I get the exact same greeting when I go up to the store for an hour. Same enthusiasm. "she's home! she's home!" whooooo whoooo whoooo, tails wagging, butts wiggling, noses hitting my hand trying to get petted. It's all very exciting.

Then I went out to check the mail. Same enthusiastic greeting.

Then I returned to the car to haul in some groceries. Slightly less enthusiastic but still a greeting. She's home! She's home! After the fourth trip to the car, the dogs did finally seem to get that I wasn't gone for very long. But it took four trips.

My dogs aren't as smart as I thought they were.
"But we love you!" says Panda

2 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

It must be nice to be so loved!
Even if it is 3 dogs it's still love.

tainterturtles said...

I know nothing about dog behavior, but I think my cat is much like a dog. When I pull into the driveway coming home from work, there is kitty in the window waiting for me. She is always excited to see me!