Monday, February 16, 2009

The story of Roxy

Roxy is the newest dog to our home, having lived with us for about 1 1/2 years. The last dog we had before Roxy was a little brown dachshund named Ruger. He was getting on in years and I made the decision to have him put to sleep when Katie left home. He was entirely dependent on her and I knew he wouldn't last long with her gone. It was sad for all of us (except Tim), but I really think it was the right thing to do. After that we decided NO MORE SHORT HAIRED DOGS. We spend a lot of time in the outdoors at the cabin and we have noticed that the thicker coated breeds do so much better in the winter and in the summer. Maryann gets eaten up by the mosquitos. Panda barely notices them. Maryann (and the dachshunds) used to freeze when we would go up in winter, but Panda never has a problem. She likes the snow and cold.

So when a young lady from church was telling us she needed to find a home for her dog, I said no. I knew that it was a difficult pup, had a habit of digging under the fence to escape, darting through open doors, and being a general pest. Yet, I thought the dog was kind of cute. Another month went by and she was telling some friends that she really needed to find a home for this dog, she just couldn't keep it any longer. It was causing to much stress in her life. The mutual friends talked to me and wondered if we wanted the dog. I talked with my husband and we decided again, together, no, we didn't want that dog. If a long-haired one came along, that might be a different story. But no, we didn't want this particular problem dog. I had even heard some other people comment on this dog and what a spaz it was.

Then there was a church sponsored ladies tea. All the ladies were dressed up nice for lunch, tea and an auction. When this particular lady arrived she was late and brushing away tears. She had had enough of that dog! It escaped twice out the door that morning and when she finally caught it for the second time and tried to bring it home, it dragged at the leash and flipped around and screamed and whined like she was killing it. She was fed up. She announced that the dog was going to the pound that day. As soon as the tea was over, that was it. The dog was gone!

I don't think she intentionally did it to make me take the dog. I just couldn't stand to see it go to the pound. I knew it was a problem dog, but at the same time I knew she was a single, stressed out mom trying to work full time and take care of her daughter. She had too much going on in her life to be messing with a problem dog. So I said "I'll take the dog." I didn't get a chance to tell my husband. She and I agreed that I would pick up the dog the next day because I had plans with my youth group that evening. And I needed time to tell my husband.

I spoke with my husband by phone that evening. He was home from work, but I was out with the youth group. I hesitantly told him what I had done. He didn't seem surprised at all. By the time I got home, he had gone to pick up our new dog and her things.

It wasn't easy at first. There were several times I thought about taking this pest to the pound myself. For about three months she tried to escape every time we opened the door. She dug holes in the backyard and escaped under the fence. She picked fights with both of our other dogs. She was a real problem.

Then it seemed like she settled in. Or maybe she grew up. She quit running away. If she did escape out the door she would run to the car, sure we were going to go for a ride. Then she quit even trying to escape out the door. She stills digs holes in the back yard and still barks at the neighbors dogs, but we have discovered that she is a wonderful outdoor dog. She loves the snow and running along with the 4-wheelers or snowmachines. If Tim is going to take a dog to the cabin with him, he chooses Roxy. She doesn't whine incessently like Panda (she whines if I'm not around) and she isn't a big pain about the cold like Maryann (plus Maryann is getting old). She trots out ahead and never complains. She is a very cheerful companion.

Tim was petting her last night and even complimented me on my good choices in "rescue dogs".

Roxy. I guess we'll keep her. She's kind of grown on us.

9 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

She is still a pain!
I clip Abbys toenails, they are just sharp.

tainterturtles said...

Roxy is cute...what kind of breed is she? Roxy has that sparkle in her eyes that says, "come on let's play."

PAK ART said...

she is a boston terrier mix. We suspect pit bull, but don't know for sure.

crochet lady said...

She is cute. She reminds me of a doggy book character named Harry. Have you ever read any of the Harry books. Two which I can think of are Harry the Dirty Dog and Harry and the Lady Next Door. They are some of my favorite kids books and Harry is such a lovable but rather naughty dog. I think he is some sort of terrier with spots.

PAK ART said...

I do remember the Harry the Dirty Dog book! i hadn't until you mentioned it though. He was digging a hole looking for his bone that he had buried. There are so many children's books that I loved. I remember with much fondness Are You My Mother? and another book about Mugglewumps or something like that.

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

She is beautiful and you know that had GOD written all over it. I want to get a puppy for MAX but I need to do some research and find out what kind would be compatiable with German Shepherds. He will be very jealous at first I'm sure. He's been an only child for the past 8 years. Any suggestions?

Love you!

PAK ART said...

AFSB - I've been around a lot of dogs and have found that they all have their own personalities. Your dog will probably have jealousy at first, but, as with most things, in time will get over it. Each time we've added a dog, we go through a series of growls, posturing and even fights to decide who is the new boss. It's part of the pack thing.

Becky from Alaska said...

Patty, I really enjoyed reading this blog! :) Made me home sick. You have a good husband, who will go pick up the dog for you that you had both decided not to adopt :) I am wondering who the "other people" were that commented on the spastic dog? ;)

PAK ART said...

for Becky - Alex