Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gray and dirty

This is the Alaska I don't like - I say in my profile that I have a love/hate relationship with this great state. And right now I'm hatin'.

We had very cold temperatures two weeks ago, and besides my car having all sorts of problems, it was beautiful. I don't really even mind the cold because I have good warm weather gear. The city was frosty white, clean and the mountains were gorgeous covered in white with a beautiful clear blue sky.

Then we had the week of unseasonably warm temperatures that broke a few records around here. Up to 50 degrees in January is not right! Our beautiful frosty trees lost all their frost. The beautiful white snow on the ground got all gray and melted and ugly. I look around and see shades of gray and very dark green. It's drab. It looks dirty. It's ugly.

I took a trip to Hawaii a long time ago during the middle of winter and I distinctly remember stepping off the plane and seeing COLOR. It was so beautiful - oranges, yellows, reds, greens, there was such variety it overwhelmed the senses. And the smells! Stepping off the plane I was inundated with ocean smells, flowers, plant life, growing life - wonderful good smells.

Hear its nada, zip, zero, nothing. Occasionally you get the stray woodsmoke smell which I like.

It will snow again, and again, and again. Spring seems so far away when it's January in Alaska.

I'll get over it.

6 comments:

Becky from Alaska said...

Oh Patty, I know how you feel!! It needs to be cold or warm, none of this in between mushy, dirty stuff. We should have been the ones to plan the seasons :)

crochet lady said...

It'f foggy and white here today, a thick frost covers all the trees. It's really pretty but we are headed for another cold front.

This year I am really longing for spring more than I have in the past, maybe it's the cold temps. I wonder if Alaska and WI traded weather or something?

Aunt Krissy said...

Poop Patty! I remember when we got off the plane! Oh the smell of plants! Better then brownies...maybe......

tainterturtles said...

When I start longing for spring in January, I just tell myself this is still the "let your body hibernate" stage. I look forward to the winter because it gives us a break from mowing grass, weeding the garden, hot & humid weather, bugs, canning & freezing veggies, summer projects etc. By the end of fall I'm usually exhausted.

Does that senario help ease your spring desires????

tainterturtles said...

When I start longing for spring in January, I just tell myself this is still the "let your body hibernate" stage. I look forward to the winter because it gives us a break from mowing grass, weeding the garden, hot & humid weather, bugs, canning & freezing veggies, summer projects etc. By the end of fall I'm usually exhausted.

Does that senario help ease your spring desires????

PAK ART said...

not really. I don't do any of the mowing, weeding, canning, but we do get bugs. So I'll have to remember that at least we don't have bugs in winter.